What problem are we trying to solve?
Several reports analyzing data and trends for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) show that we are far from achieving the targets set for 2030. Conclusions suggests that trends in all the SDGs areas should be accelerated or reversed, to meet the objectives. We need initiatives which involve different actors and a wide range of stakeholders, from the bottom levels through grass-root initiatives (citizens, civil society, NGOs, social businesses, academic institutions) to the top (national and international governance).
+Sustainable will aid in promoting the achievement of the SDGs through direct action and cooperation with the actors that are involved in the solutions of the global challenges.
How do we address the problem?
+Sustainable offers an experience for different actors working in sustainability-related issues, with which they can foster their actions and impacts. +Sustainable, focuses on two main purposes: community building and media content production. The community is composed of different actors at individual and institutional level. As members, they can interact between each other in a social-professional network and publish content in a media platform. This will increase the communication power of different actors, connecting grassroots organizations who have a shared vision and allowing them to utilize already-existing resources that are strengthened through collaboration. The platform works as a meeting point for social innovation, cooperation, and information-sharing.
What makes +Sustainable different to what has been done before?
Extensive benchmark and research has been conducted on the existence of similar platforms and the uses of media and community-building approaches to sustainability. Media, community-building, social networks and citizen participation are being highlighted as key areas which have an important role in achieving the SDGs, but still have not been used extensively for this purpose. +Sustainable merges this expertise and tools of government-driven media, mainstream media, and community-based alternative media in a platform that is exclusively dedicated to sustainability, by getting the social change actors together and generating a proper environment for partnerships, social innovation, civic-journalism and the impulse of grass-root initiatives.
What are our objectives?
- Share information and knowledge about sustainability, provide a platform for public debate and discussion, serve as catalyst for citizens’ empowerment and help to hold government and authorities to account.
- Give a voice to social change actors and empower them through community building, civic-journalism and grass-root level discussions.
- Establish a network among actors working at ground-level and foster cooperation for the implementation of bottom-up initiatives in sustainability.
What is the impact expected?
- Provide a platform for public debate and discussion, catalyze citizen and social change actors empowerment.
- Increase access to sustainability related information and make it understandable and attractive for the general public, without decreasing the importance of the subjects themselves. Becoming a medium of reference regarding sustainability.
- Achieve consensus building on the solution of global problems, turn disparate views into shared vision.
- Serve as a mediator in society, between scientists and policy planners, between general public and policy planners. Bridge the gap between science, expertise and innovation with sustainability.
- Breakthrough conventional mediums which are linked to political and commercial interests.
- Create a global community of social change actors, individual and institutional, working in sustainability-related topics.
Who are the key partners to ensure our impact?
The key partners of the project are given by the community building that +Sustainable envisions. The community is made up of different actors (individual, institutional and political), who then form a collective of sustainable advocates.
The individual level is composed by independent persons such as field researchers, social entrepreneurs, academics, journalists, etc. The institutional level consists of a range of different actors, including NGOs, Social Businesses, Universities, Think Tanks and Existing Media Channels. The political level consists of Local/National Governments and International Organizations.
These actors should be working in a topic related to sustainability and will not only work as key partners of the platform but also as content producers and users of the platform.
How do we plan to sustain and grow the impact of the project?
In order to sustain growth, we have established a set of necessary actions:
- Integrate and continuously invite new actors that share the vision of +Sustainable.
- Generate and publish content and have an active role in social media
- Follow-up on the social innovation activities among the members of the community
- Foster formal alliances and cooperation between community members, identifying possible opportunities of synergy creation.
- Empower social change actors through alliances to promote the creation of new projects
These actions and activities contribute to the involvement of new actors, and therefore fostering the community expansion.
The project also aims to scale its regions of influence “from global to local, from local to global”. The global distribution of community members and the continuous track of the website and social network indicators will give the necessary information to plan national/regional launches. The new actors will also automatically be part of the global network, enriching the community diversity and its impacts on the real world, by acting more locally, closer to the problems and thereby the solutions.
Hussein Khalil Dib
Information & Technology
Media & Communication
Media & Business
Media & Business